Chilli, Dill & Garlic Pickles
To you, these might just be an average jar of pickles.. to me these are hands down one of my favourite foods for a whopping 167 reasons, including 1) Its the only ferment Sean actually ASKS me to make cause he lurvesss them (YUS), 2) they’re the easiest heavenly fermented condiment to make, 3) They add far too much excitement to our plate of absolutely anything savoury or even better lonesome straight from the jar, 4) They are insanely rich in probiotics to help you fight cheeky bugs, balance your hormones, and promote beautiful digestion and, 5) Cucumbers alone are a potent detoxifier, strengthen your adrenals and kidneys, and alkalise your booty.
Also, Kirsty from Kultured Wellness is generously offering a FREE Gut Health Rebalancing Series starting on the 15th of May. This gives you the opportunity to gain secrets into healing your gut and therefore overall body, which is can honestly be the key to overcoming many of your symptoms.
500g mini cucumbers
4 large cloves garlic or 5 small, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp mustard seeds (or you can use organic mustard that has no additives)
1 Tbsp salt (may want to add more at the end to taste)
2 chilli's, sliced lengthways but kept whole
1/2 Tbsp peppercorns
1 cup roughly chopped fresh dill
2 Tbsp organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
Water to reach the top
1. Place all ingredients, except the liquids, into a 1 L jar.
2. Add the kefir and apple cider vinegar, and then top up with filtered water until it reaches an inch from the top.
3. Try and keep the pickles submerged under the liquid. If they keep rising, then use one of the pickles and chop it so it can lay flat over the other pickles. This can be above the water slightly, it is just to hold the others down. If you needed to do this, then discard it once the batch has finished fermenting.
4. Close the lid, and set aside on your bench for 24-48 hours, or until fizzy and the cucumbers has softened and they are to your liking.
5. Serve alone, or with absolutely everything savoury! Slice them up and serve with your choice of protein, on seed crackers, with some pate.