Sneaky Veg & Zesty Orange Cake
Or rather, a no-orange cake? A sugar free, everything free cake that can be enjoyed my most, with a sneaky veggie addition that no one will pick up on. I have used orange oil instead of whole oranges, to provide those on gut healing regimes a completely sugar free fruity cake!
2 small lemons (roughly 125g) halved and deseeded
1 medium zucchini (skin peeled if you want absolutely no green specks)
4 tbsp ghee or coconut oil, ghee provides a beautiful flavour
1/2 cup coconut flour
3 tsp vanilla essence
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric - Optional - it is for the orange colour to match the orange flavour.
15 drops Twenty8 orange oil - Optional - for a beautiful orange flavour.
1 tsp bicarb soda
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup of your choice of sweetener, or to taste. I used Lakanto, you could use liquid stevia, honey, rapadura sugar, maple syrup or alike.
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celcius.
2. Place the zucchini and lemon a high powered blender or food processor, and blend until fine.
3. Place the remaining ingredients into the blender, and then continue to blend through all ingredients until well combined.
4. Scoop the mix into a lined a small cake tin or loaf tin with baking paper, and spread out evenly and smooth.
5. Place in your oven and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
6. Whilst it bakes, prepare your choice of serving like a cream or yogurt, dairy, cashew or macadamia based, though see below for the vanilla cashew cream I served with mine.
VANILLA CASHEW CREAM - OPTIONAL
Please know that this cream is completely optional.
1 1/2 cups cashews - soaked for 4-6 hours, or fermented for 1 day in the Kultured Wellness Coconut water Kefir
3/4 cup of water
2 tsp vanilla essence or 1 vanilla pod
2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
1-2 tbsp of your choice of sweetener, or to taste. I used Lakanto, you could use liquid stevia, honey, rapadura sugar, maple syrup or alike.
A pinch of salt
1. Strain out the liquid from the cashews.
2. Place all ingredients into a high powered blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
3. Taste, and ensure it is delicious and add any more sweet or vanilla if required.
4. Serve with anything you like, though it goes great with the Sneaky Veg & Zesty Orange Cake.