Creamy Blueberry and Vanilla Ice
1 cup organic, frozen blueberries (**see note below)
3 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp Lakanto, stevia drops, or honey to taste
1/2 cup pure, additive free coconut cream
1/4 cup lime or lemon juice
Pinch of salt
3 cups desiccated coconut
3 tbsp coconut cream (pure, no additives)
1/2 - 1 tbsp Lakanto, stevia, or honey to taste
1. OPTION ONE - To ferment the cashews: cover the cashews in 1 cup coconut kefir along with filtered water in a clean glass jar or container and ensure it is tightly closed. Allow to ferment for 48 hours, or until the liquid fizzes when you stir the cashews around. The warmer it is, the quicker it will take. OPTION TWO - To soak the cashews: place the cashews in a jar or glass container and cover with filtered water and a dash of apple cider vinegar for roughly 8 hours.
2. Place all base ingredients into your blender and blend on high until it forms a coconut butter consistency.
3. With baking paper, line a loaf tin or your desired cake shape tin and pour the mix to the tin to create a thin base. Place in the freezer.
4. Clean your blender, and then place all filling ingredients into the blender and blend on high until completely smooth. You will need to scrap down the sides, and keep blending to reach the creaminess you want. Make sure you taste the filling and ensure it is sweet enough for you or your audience.
5. Bring the base out of the freezer, and scoop the blueberry mix onto the base, and spread out until it is evenly covered and smooth.
6. Place in the freezer until firm enough to slice. Before serving, remove it from the freezer 10-15 minutes before so it is not too solid!
If you are in ketosis or are avoiding sugar completely, ferment the blueberries by covering the blueberries in the coconut water kefir and sitting it aside for 12-24 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid for drinking separately, and use those blueberries in this recipe. You may want to add more sweetness as it will be reduced once fermented.
Fermenting the cashews makes them much more easily digested.